Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cute Owl Cake

Well, I had my first cake disaster, I was going to take a picture of how bad it turned out. Then I could show how I fixed it. But it was just such a mess, I didn't want to take the time.
Tip #1 If you are sculpting a cake, put a skewer or two down in it, to help it hold it's shape.
Tip #2 Dirty ice your cake and put it in the fridge or freezer for a little bit, to help it hold it's shape.
Confession: on this cake I skipped these steps. And because of that, the cakes inside the fondant started to shift, when I tried to straighten them back up, the fondant wrinkled. Leaving an old, wrinkly, sad, and crooked little owl.
Well of course I'm not going to give a sad looking cake, so remake it I did!

And now look how cute it turned out.
I just love the way owls are all over the place lately, So I had to make one myself. I debated about making it even more colorful, with more stripes or other patterns.
The owl is a super moist carrot cake, with cream cheese frosting.

No comments: