Sunday, March 4, 2012

Ombre Fly Fishing Cake

Well I've gotten a taste for the ombre effect and I'm liking it if you can't tell. I promise I won't do ombre on every cake from here on out. Maybe a few more, though :)I saw a picture of ombre waves, and loved it. So I was torn, do I do fondant ombre wave layers? Or do I use my new airbrush that I've been wanting to try out? Well as you can see the airbrush won. But I feel like it may have looked better if I had done it with my original idea, which is to color each wave a different variation of blue. But I have to say it was fun to play with my airbrush. And it was a lot quicker, and used less fondant.
Usually I am so nervous about making fondant characters, I feel like they turn out, well, not good. (Maybe since the first time I tried, on the incredibles cake, they did not.) But since then I've had a lot more practice. I feel like this little fisherman turned out pretty cute don't you?
This cake was made for my Father-in-law, a master fly fisherman. Technically, his fondant counterpart is missing glasses. But I was too afraid to draw some on, in fear I would ruin the whole thing. So minus the glasses I think he turned out pretty fun!
Happy birthday, and happy fishing!

1 comment:

Leah Aston said...

That fisherman is so darling, and I love the waves. Way cute cake!